Lab Lead or CLT/Phleb
Labbies – this is like the situation we had with Shoreline where the opening is technically for a Lab Lead, but she would take a CLT if we cannot find her someone with leadership
MICRO experience is a huge plus! She also said a huge plus would be someone who lives close by – they have commute issues with current staff
Client/Job Title: UWNC Shoreline Lab Lead OR CLT 1
Lead: Lei to assign
Hiring Manager (subs to): Gurman
Client Information/Pitch: UWNC is a community-based, not-for-profit primary care network serving patients in 14 clinic locations throughout the greater Seattle area, including Olympia, Smokey Point, and Lopez & Orcas Islands. As an entity within the UW Medicine Health System, UWNC is affiliated with UW Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, Valley Medical Center, UW School of Medicine, Airlift NW, UW Physicians, and Northwest Hospital.
UWNC is committed to a patient-centered approach to delivering exceptional care to our patients and families. This is evident in how we have embraced the Medical Home model of care and our relentless focus on quality. The cornerstone of our efforts to deliver exceptional care to our patients and families begins with our focus on the continuous development of our employees.
Why Is This Position Open/Order Description? Lab lead is leading, so they need a new lead OR they will move a current team member into a lead role and they will need to backfill that role
LEAD: Mix of lab duties and admin work. oversee lab employees – about 5 people which includes RTs; help with training, scheduling, regulations, supervisory and management responsibilities.
CLT: Blood draws and testing, point of care on site testing – strep tests, drug tests, urine tests, pregnancy, etc. Processing and packaging of samples.
LEAD: lead will have lab and or phleb experience and be looking to do more manager duties, more admin work. They need to have the soft skills to lead a team and be the face of the team – customer service, dynamic, flexible.
CLT: lab experience OR phleb experience – micro huge plus! X-Ray would also be a HUGE plus but she doesn't expect this 🙂
Target Years of Experience: open
Shift: 4 10s M/T/Th/F 7:30-4
Duration (Contracted temp to hire hours?): temp-to-hire
Pay Rate: TBD – I will ask, let's not screen on pay for now!
Mark Up: 60%
Job Description LEAD:
UW Neighborhood Clinics (UWNC) is looking for a Clinical Laboratory Technician Lead to join our dynamic team!
The Clinical Laboratory Technician Lead regularly assigns, instructs and checks the work of the Lab Team. This position performs the work of the CLT II, including all waived and non-waived testing, microscopic evaluations, and adult and pediatric phlebotomy. The incumbent contributes to the development and evaluation of laboratory processes and procedures as well as ensures compliance with all UWNC and regulatory standards.
· Provides leadership in the department. Establishes priorities in work to be done and assigning specific activities to technicians.
· Utilizes interpersonal skills to resolve service related problems and coordinates information and problem solving with clinic leadership, lab manager, lab staff, clinic staff and patients.
· Participates in new employee onboarding and training; provides feedback to staff to maintain optimum performance and high quality service.
· Monitors and directs competency testing for all lab staff in accordance with UWNC and regulatory standards.
· Provides input to the clinic manager and/or lab manager on employee performance as directed and for performance evaluations.
· Assists with solving daily issues, such as equipment problems, provider order errors, scheduling staff and staff assignments.
· Identifies problems or potential problems in a timely manner and refers them to the clinic manager, lab manager, or lab technical coordinator as necessary. Documents issues and events appropriately.
· Oversees operation of the laboratory which includes but is not limited to supply inventory and ordering through UW Materials Management, UW Reference Lab Services, and other UWNC vendors, and housekeeping and infection control activities.
· Maintains and evaluates lab equipment and work areas; performing minor preventative maintenance and monitoring records, reviews the daily operational status of equipment; informing clinic manager and/or lab manager of the need for repair service calls and documenting malfunctions; evaluates new equipment as directed by the lab manager.
· Performs regular quality assurance activities including the review of patient specimen identification, accurate specimen collection, accurate test results, correct data entry into the electronic medical record, testing of proficiency samples, internal and external quality control analysis; determining that all parameters are within established ranges, and notification of critical results.
· Develops and participates in lab quality assurance monitors and other UWNC process improvement projects as directed.
· Develops lab agenda for scheduled meetings with clinic leadership and the lab/radiology manager.
· Arranges and monitors courier services between the clinic laboratory and UW Laboratory Medicine/Reference Lab Services.
· Maintains laboratory SDS binder, assures that all chemicals are properly labeled and informs lab manager of new chemicals.
· Maintains all laboratory records and procedure manuals in accordance with UWNC and regulatory requirements. Provides input to lab manager on new procedures as directed.
· Monitors laboratory performance for compliance with accreditation, federal, and state regulatory requirements and reports deficiencies to lab manager and clinic leadership.
· Maintains and monitors the abnormal pap log.
· Monitors Overdue Results as delegated.
· May send out letters to patients, as delegated by clinic leadership, with lab results or overdue reminder letters for appointments.
· Responsible for reviewing daily and weekly microbiology, pap smear and pathology normal and abnormal reports and notifying providers of abnormal results that have not been reviewed.
· Performs the duties of a Clinical Laboratory Technician I and II, including all waived and non-waived testing, microscopic testing, and adult and pediatric phlebotomy by capillary and venous collection.
· Performs routine radiographic exams as directed by a clinic provider, limited to Level 1 and Level 2 exams as listed in the UWNC x-ray test menu.
· Complies with the UWNC risk management program, including accurate and timely reporting of all adverse incidents as described in the policy.
· Accesses only the patient health information that is appropriate for the duties performed.
· An Associate Degree from an accredited Medical Laboratory Technology program including courses in chemistry and biology AND one year of Clinical Laboratory Technician experience in an ambulatory clinic environment, OR,
· Equivalent education such as a degree in biology, environmental science, microbiology or other related science or medical field AND two years of laboratory experience in a science lab such as research, biology, microbiology, medical, or other related field. OR.
· High school diploma or equivalent (GED) AND three years of experience in a medical laboratory, preferably in an ambulatory clinic environment conducting lab testing similar to the UWNC environment.
· Able to be certified as a Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist with the Washington State Department of Health to perform venous and capillary invasive procedures for blood withdrawal within 90 days of hire.
· Demonstrated computer experience, preferably in a Windows-based environment
Job Description CLT:
This Clinical Laboratory Technician works in a clinical laboratory with a limited test menu and high service demands; performing waived and limited non-waived testing, excluding microscopic evaluations, and adult and pediatric phlebotomy.